Sunday, October 25, 2009

You smiled but your acquaintance just walked past !

What happens in us when somebody we know doesn't acknowledge our smile or a shakehand but just ignores and walks past ?

The first inner reaction is my ego gets hurt. In this situation what happens to him/her who didn’t smile is less important. S/he may be in his/her own world of bliss or mess. Why that should put me in a mess? Mind starts wandering. It thinks, is it that somebody told her something against me and that’s why she didn’t smile? Is she under some pressure and hence she ignored me or doesn’t want to share something with me? Is something wrong in my face, my clothes today? Is she ignoring me? Our ego-factory can produce a lot of such crap. That’s by design. What happens to me with all these thoughts is more important. WHICH specific output of my ego-factory have I latched myself on to and HOW MUCH have I latched on to? These 2 factors will decide if we can be free even if you smile and the known person ignores. Last time this happened to me I got latched to a thought that the other person is ignoring me but he seems to be in his world of problems that’s why he’s doing so. That evening I just walked to him and said hi! We got onto regular talking terms, cracked jokes and departed. I learned a lot with this experience about the functioning of my mind, its unbeatable ability to create nonsense in my head even when everything was really fine.

In another incident the problem began when I smiled at an unknown lady misunderstanding her as an acquaintance and she smiled back with a question in her eyes. Now I’m thinking hard ;)

3 comments:

  1. this is sooo true sir.... we experience ego clashes on almost every day... in fact 'ego' is giving us tough time during our projects:) do you think we can get rid of ego by any way?? or shall we learn to live with it??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you ask a question to yourself why do you want to get rid of ego? Is it your question or a conclusion from somebody else's statement ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think my ego is not my problem... ego of people around me, people with whom i need to interact in day to day life is the problem.......
    ohhh this is also a problem... sir every time i speak to you i feel as if i've never heard myself...i've never lived my life on my terms :( (or rather most of us change ourselves for other people)
    why do we, sorry i get soooo influenced by others?

    ReplyDelete